From 1 October 2013, a new law called the ‘Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013’ commences across England and Wales.
As a member of the public who may come into contact with collectors in the area you live you need to be aware:
- Mobile collectors need a licence from every local authority in which they collect scrap metal.
- ‘A licensed Collector’ will display in their vehicle a valid photographic collector’s licence issued by Breckland Council – this notice should be visible to you from outside the vehicle and will include the Council logo.
- From 1st October 2013 a collector can no longer pay you in cash for any scrap metal he collects from you.
- Payment can only be made by cheque or electronic transfer.
- If you are taking scrap metal to a licensed site, you will need to take formal ID with you, and the site manager must record these details.
- A valid local authority site licence must be displayed in view of the public at any site that you take your scrap metal to.
If you think an offence is being committed please contact Norfolk Constabulary on telephone number 101.
Please contact Breckland Council’s Licensing Team for further information on 01362 656876